As biscuits form one third of my blog name and are a vital part of my life, I thought it was about time I wrote a little post about them. Then I realised I had too much to say, so it would have to be a two-parter. My sweet tooth is notorious and I am a chocolate/cake/pudding/biscuit fiend. I reckon biscuits are the most socially acceptable of those items to eat daily and thus they are my main vice. Well, they’re hardly a vice, are they? They are practically a food group!
There are multiple reasons why biscuits are wonderful. Here are a few of them:
- You can dunk them in hot drinks. I’m not that fussed about hot drinks and I pretty much only drink tea so I can dip biscuits into it.
- They are a very convenient snack when you are feeding a baby; you can have the biscuit tin next to you and munch away with no prep or cutlery required. Crumbs are a small issue but that doesn’t put me off. This one is basically why I put biscuits in my blog name – I was eating so many of them at the time.
- There are SO MANY TYPES. If you need something bland a digestive or rich tea is fine – I eat digestives when I am ill and can’t face food (really hungover). On the other end of the spectrum there’s super rich ones like chocolate Viennesse whirls and Oreos. There’s…yeah, this is why I need another post. I’ll come back to this. Suffice to say that if it’s variety that you want from your food then biscuits are a winner.
- They make you look like a good host. If someone pops by unexpectedly or is just dropping in for a cuppa, you look dead generous when you offer biscuits with the tea (especially if you have shortbread and/or chocolate ones). This requires zero effort, other than not eating all of the biscuits before people arrive. We have to keep our house well stocked to avoid that particular pitfall. I obviously would never dream of offering the boring biscuits to guests while saving the chocolate chunk cookies for after they’ve gone and I can eat them all by myself.
- You can get breakfast in biscuit form. These are super handy for biscuits on-the-go, as people might judge you for just carrying a pack of digestives around with you. But if they are sold as a breakfast biscuit then they are acceptable to have in your handbag.
Please tell me you share the biscuit love?