I have recently had the displeasure of being ill while looking after the baby. The first illness was a stomach bug and luckily my husband was able to take the night off work, otherwise it would have been truly horrendous. Next time round was just a rotten cold and sadly I had to battle through that one alone! It wasn’t serious enough for B to take time off work but I felt pretty rubbish. So, in true pity-party fashion, I’ve made a list of the worst things about being ill while looking after a baby:
- You can’t really switch off or relax. I think normally when you are at home with a bad cold you just sink in and out of sleep, occasionally making yourself tea or soup. This isn’t really an option when you have to keep an ear out for/eye on a baby! Sleeping is always on their terms.
- Duvet days aren’t so great when you are responsible for a small child. You know the ones, back in the day, where you took the duvet to the sofa and watched multiple films while surrounded by tissues? It doesn’t work like that anymore. You have a baby poking your face, needing entertainment or feeding or changing.
- Changing a nappy with a stomach bug is generally not advised and if you’ve got a cold you can’t smell when they’ve pooed, which is inconvenient (and increases the likelihood of explosions)!
- You can guarantee that when you want an early night the baby will decide to stay up late.
- Crying does not help a headache. In fact, it definitely makes headaches dramatically worse. There you are, just wishing you could get an uninterrupted night’s sleep followed by a day of doing nothing, and there’s a baby screaming his head off in your ear, for no apparent reason.
- You can guarantee that just when you’ve got the baby to sleep you will sneeze really loudly and wake him up. This happens to me regularly.
- As I’m breastfeeding I have to be careful what medications I take. No dosing myself up on Nightnurse and passing out, sadly.
I have to confess that I was pretty glad my sense of smell was absent the other day when I was faced with the most insane poo I have ever seen. I’m fairly sure the smell must have been horrific but I was blissfully unaware. I’ve finished feeling sorry for myself now. What else would you add to my list?!