This was the first time our little family had been away alone; we’d done a mini break with B’s family a little while back but this was unchartered territory – just the three of us staying in a caravan Monday – Friday. We went to a holiday park near the coast which is about 90 minutes from home so it wasn’t too daunting! I realised this could be a very dull post so I thought I’d make it snappier by listing our highs and lows.
- A change of scene. There’s a lot to be said for just getting away and it was really lovely to be somewhere different and mix up the routine, particularly as it meant B was off work.
- Not having to be anywhere at a specific time or rushing about was a real treat. Some days we weren’t ‘ready for the day’ until about 2pm but it didn’t matter!
- Eating and drinking. A LOT. We really went overboard on this front but it was excellent. We were essentially constantly eating and we drank a lot of beer, a few cocktails and some champagne. Booze is a big part of our life so it’s always nice when we’re away to really indulge…
- Going to the swimming pool on site. TM seemed to enjoy it although we didn’t stay in for ages but we got lots of smiles and laughs from him while we were in the pool!
- Walking along the beachfront. One of the days we were away was quite pleasant weather-wise and I adore being by the sea so we went down to the coast for a stroll.
- Playing board games. I am a huge fan of board and card games and being in a caravan on a rainy evening is the perfect time to play them. I did embarrass myself by mixing up Garfunkel and Garfield, though. It’s easily done!
- Finally finishing Game of Thrones season 3. Yep, we are THAT behind. The Red Wedding was a bit of a shocker, eh?!
- Turning up at the wrong holiday park. Yes, there were two holiday parks run by the same company within about 3 miles of each other and we rocked up at the wrong one to begin with. Not an ideal start!
- TM deciding his travel cot was evil and was not to be slept in. We had this battle on the first and last night. There was also a lot of wind and rain both of those nights so I’m unsure if it was the weather or a growth spurt or just the fact that we weren’t at home but he would not settle! At one point he was waking hourly, it was like having a newborn again – somehow it felt much worse when you’re not expecting it. He would fall asleep fine but when we’d put him down he would start screaming. We’d pick him back up, he’d fall asleep on one of us straight away, cry as soon as he realised he was being placed back in the cot of doom and REPEAT. I don’t know if I can entirely blame him though as that travel cot mattress does look pretty shite. But who doesn’t find rain on a caravan soothing?! I was lulled to sleep straight away (could have been the beer…)
- Our car being SO VERY FULL. We took so much crap with us it really was ridiculous.
- The weather on the whole was fairly terrible while we were away but the worst part was definitely walking to the bar from the caravan during a torrential downpour with a biting wind. I was entirely soaked when we got there and my hands were like blocks of ice!
- The 10, 000 loads of washing I had to do when we got home.
All in all, we had a great time away and I feel like the break has done us all good! There were definitely less shots consumed than on our holidays pre-baby but we made up for it with extra biscuits.