No matter how much reading you do or how many babies you’ve spent time with I think everyone goes into parenting with big gaps in their knowledge! There are huge gaps in mine but one thing that has been amusing and baffling for me are some of the habits my son has which I didn’t expect from a baby! Here are a few things that I hadn’t expected of my son:
- That his farts would be so very loud. They rival his Dad’s. One of my friends commented on it when he was first born as they reckoned they’d never heard a baby fart that loudly before. It’s pretty embarrassing.
- That he would scream so much when we changed his nappy and/or clothes as a newborn. It took him a while to grow out of this, and even now if he’s a bit grumpy he might cry when he’s being changed. It was awful, it used to break my heart as he would shriek away.
- He wrings his little hands sometimes while I am feeding him or just when we have him sat on our laps. It is so adorable but doesn’t look like the kind of action a baby does!
- He cries in his sleep. Sometimes it will be a full on scream but before I’ve even had a chance to pick him up he’s stopped.
- Mood swings. This has got to be the strangest thing (and I imagine is only going to get more extreme as he becomes a toddler). One minute he is giggling, laughing and chattering away and the next he is crying! The most annoying thing is when he is crying on me but B takes him and all of a sudden he is all smiles! Little monkey.
- He gets interested in the weirdest things. He becomes transfixed by me tapping my foot near him while he lays on the floor and he loves to try and eat patterned cushions
- He grunts. All the time! He makes all these strange noises and people ask me ‘Oh is he doing a poo?’ ‘Is he ok?’ and I have to apologise and tell them that he just makes ridiculous noises, for no reason.
- The sheer amount of dribble a tiny person can produce. Within an hour he will have soaked through a bib and there will be wet patches on the mat/chair/my leg/my shoulder depending on where he is. I think he may have started teething so this has got even worse recently!
- How sensitive his skin is. Sometimes even just picking him up leaves him with red marks on his tummy, poor little guy.
- That he can be entertained solely by looking at and touching my face. Occasionally this makes him laugh hysterically, I clearly have a funny face.
What habits do your little ones have that you weren’t expecting?